Friday, December 29, 2017

Fine tuning of a Mother - ECCE course


                 As mentioned in my previous post, I came to know about the course Early childhood care  and education (ECCE). I would like to give a overview of the course and my experiences. The journey has made me experience many flavors of life.


DELHI PUBLIC SCHOOL(DPS) premises..... Evening 4 PM...

       DPS In collaboration with Durgabai Deshmukh Mahila Sabha - College of Teacher Education is offering a 55 days crash course of ECCE.  A curtain raiser about the course ECCE was organised by Director of DPS Ms.Sudha & Preprimary Headmistress Ms.Ashwini, which has given us a clear idea what the course is about and also an assurance that how we are going to complete it. Its an orientation session after which we can decide if we can join the course or not. Without a second thought I have paid the fee on the spot and registered myself for the course.

        As a mother we know every aspect about our children. But is that really true? Do you know what your child wants during their childhood age of 0 to 5 years? The course is all about this.... Fulfilling the needs of the child. The course not only transforms a mother to teacher but it helps in fine tuning of a mother.

       
July 18th 2017 - I entered the DDMS college with mixed feelings.... A happiness that I have found a ladder to restart my career... An anxiousness of how I will be able to complete the course with two children at home. 15 members enrolled to the course.All the students are mothers. Few of them were planning to restart their career and few of them just to enhance their skills.  We had an orientation by the most experienced staff at of DDMS college. Every one assured us that we will enjoy the course but one sentence told by course coordinator Prof.Jalaja has got sowed in my mind.... " You all are like buds of a plant in a beautiful garden, just allow yourself to blossom and flourish the fragrance hidden in you." What a beautiful words??? 


          The theory classes were commenced at DDMS. Classes timings were 10 AM to 1 PM. The course has 29 theory classes which were completed at DDMS. The course has 3 theory papers & 5 practical papers. 80% attendance is required. Its like I am back to college life. I have got new friends, chit chatting, sitting like a student on a bench and enjoying the class. 

Its the flavor of college life...

        I thoroughly enjoyed the theory classes because I started viewing the childhood through the eyes of a kid. I have learnt what minor mistakes I have made in upbringing my kids. Daily I used to experiment the tips given by facilitators on my kids and it used to work like a magic. I could see a lot of change in my behavior towards my kids which in turn brought good changes in their behavior.

Its the flavor of transformation.....

             During the completion of theory part we need to prepare teaching learning material (Teaching aids) for which marks will be awarded. I enjoyed it to core because I love crafting. We need to prepare puppets, puzzles, dominoes, sensory kit, touch cards... whoa...... I used to prepare a sample one and give to my kid to see to what level they liked it. I explored many ideas, registered in many blogs and then I came to know how good it is to engage a pre-primary kid. It needs to be as simple as it can be which is toughest job for a teacher. 

Its the flavor of exploration.....

               After theory comes the best part of the course... Apprenticeship,Teaching Practice, external visits and art education i.e., 20 days of practicum and 6 days of project work... a total of 26 days. That means 29 days theory + 26 days is 55 days total. 

              During Apprenticeship we attended Delhi Public School Pre Primary classes and we observed the teacher how they are handling the classes. I was extremely happy to be with kids. The silly questions they ask, their funny talks, their surprise expressions when you are telling a story and overall their love and hugs asking me not to leave their class... A wonderful feeling.

Its the flavor of love and affection.

           Teaching learning Practice we have to take the classes under the supervision of the class teacher. External visits gave us opportunity to visit other schools, anganwadis, English Foreign language university and many more. 

                Art record involved lots of painting techniques. How careful I might be... 3 times my daughter spilled water on my paintings. I wanted paintings to be simple because I was only thinking as a 4 year old and a kid should be able to make the replica of it. Whenever I sit for art record my daughters were ready with their charts. I used to spend my time in helping them. So finally, I used to sit after 10 PM to have uninterrupted work.

               The journey was not easy but very interesting. Everything we see has to be noted and then submitted in the form of Record. Everything has a dead line. In between popping up small home assignments. I also had other side of coin... Family, my kids half yearly exams, their ill health, my sickness, unexpected rains.... Had to make lot of adjustments, compromises etc etc. Everything seemed to be simple but when I attempt to do it I used to understand how difficult it is. 

                  During the month of October, I gave my exams. After 10 years, I again entered examination hall with a hall ticket, sat for 2 hours and wrote my exams. I finally cleared my exams and passed in distinction.

Its the flavor of success.

                 When I decided to join the course there were many around me saying 'its not easy', 'can't you sit at home?', 'Teacher job is the toughest job','Handling kindergarten kids is not easy'....... Why do we want only easy things? No job is easy. Every task we take up and if you want perfectionism in anything you do you have to come out of your comfort zone. The satisfaction you get in completing a difficult task is inexplicable. 

Its the flavor of difficulty.

                     Yes, I faced many ups and downs while pursuing the course. I had many sweet and sour moments through out the duration of the course. But my family, my kids, my friends, my teachers, co-teachers in DPS motivated and encouraged me a lot to complete the course. There had been a lot of disturbances because of unexpected changes in schedules. We used to feel annoyed. But later I understood that DPS is a huge educational institution and we are just a small branch of it. The management has lot more tasks to handle apart from this course. But all the time they helped us in every manner to make us feel comfortable. 


              I am very thankful to DPS for providing an opportunity to retrospect myself and bring out the talents that were sheltered. Its because of their helping hand that I came out of the box and completed the course. I am also thankful to DDMS facilitators who helped us in every possible way and who gave our good golden college days back in my life. Its because of this course I met some wonderful people who are my best friends now. Last, but not the least... I thank my family especially my husband and my sister who motivated me to reach my goal successfully.

               I am now waiting for an interview call from DPS........ Wish me success my dear friends. Any inquiry regarding the course, please feel free to approach me.

Regards,
Jyothi
         

                
                 
                

No comments:

Post a Comment