Thursday, December 28, 2017

Retrospection

Scene #1: 
'Do you work?'..... 
"Am a home maker."...... 
"Oh!! I can understand how difficult it might be for you to stay at home."......
 "WHAT!!???"

Scene #2:
Tring tring (my mobile rings)..... "Hello" 
"Hi! Its me XXXXX... How are you?"
"Hey.... Am good. Can you give me 10 minutes? I will call you back. I am slightly busy."
"Hey its okay.... Give me a missed call. I will call you back. I am working no? It will be easy for me to pay my mobile bill."
"WHAT???"


        I being a home maker and a mother of 6 year old twin daughters often suffer from facing this kind of pity expressions. I wanted to reply "home makers are not any disgraced creatures on earth." Priorities changes after you have kids in your life. 

         I wanted to restart my career but not in a dilemma that whether my kids are happy and comfortable in my absence or not. So, I started exploring the various opportunities around me. I explored various available opportunities around me. But every path led to one same destination... "Investment"


Holding a B.Tech degree in CIVIL engineering from one of the most prestigious institutions 'Koneru Laxmaiah College of Engineering' (now K L University) which has opened the doors for my entry into TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES.... A rasping career with 6.2 years of working experience in TCS..... Has given a confidence that I will surely restart my career with better options. But, I have never imagined that I would choose a path of teaching career.

Behind the scenes...

year 1 / 2014: Almost a year after my resignation(to my corporate job) I started to feel lonely even though I am totally occupied with my kids. I had self-pity on myself that my talents are being unrecognized. I was spending my time completely in exploring the things with which I can make my kids more smart/healthy/active. 

I have a loving husband who is always busy with his profession. I have the freedom of going anywhere and doing whatever I like. But, an egoistic feeling was lying within myself that I used to die to ask him 'I want money' and in turn receiving a question 'How much?' That question irritated me to such an extent that I never replied. 

Finally, I have set up a tiny online business of clothing. Fortunately, my sister is a partner in my business and we started it with our pocket money. 

Still.... That question 'Do you work?' and a pity expression on their face for my reply used to annoy me. And so, the feeling of nonrecognition continued...

Year passed.....

Year 2/2015: Within a year we have built a good customer base, doubled the profits and our Facebook page has attained a reputation. Was receiving petty earnings which we used for only developing our business. 

People were more interested in my clothing and customers were doubled. I worked only for specific hours during a day because I have another responsibility of engaging my children.

My dissatisfied levels about nonrecognition were a little bit reduced as I was earning through my clothing business. 

The conversation regarding money with my husband still continued. 

Year passed......


Year 3/2016: I don't want to stick myself to my business alone because my areas of interest were completely different. I had a dream of being in any management role which utilizes my previous work experience. But having a full time with 5-year-old kids at home made me search for work from home jobs.

So, after exploring I decided to take up freelance jobs. I registered myself in many sites but none seemed professional. Then finally I came across 'UPWORK' where my thirst for technical solutions were satisfied. Apart from my clothing business I used to earn as a freelancer by taking up hourly jobs.

Many friends around me admired me for working from home and used to ask me "how you did this?"

Somewhere in my mind that I am not giving my 100% of skills to do the work is still haunting me. 

Another year passed....

Year 4/2017: Kids entered into Grade 1 and they are now having full day school. I have been engaging myself for the whole day in some or other work so that I can kill the time.
Business was productive. Upwork was giving me petty earnings. One day......

I went to attend Parent - Teacher's meeting in my kid's school and the teacher told me about a course which made me to think about my abilities. The course is 'Early Childhood Care Education' (ECCE).

My retrospection has made me realized that all these 6 years I have been

  • Learning and singing many rhymes to kids
  • Making my kids engage themselves in various play activities
  • Encouraging them to play various games
  • Exploring fun and creative activities
  • Knowing age old famous stories
Above all, my kids building a confidence upon me that I am their best playmate. This has laid the strong foundation to pursue the course and dream about a teaching career.

With the encouragement of my husband and my sister, I decided to join the classes and complete "ECCE" course.

There comes a point in every woman's life where they need to take a break from their career life to support their family. But there also comes a point in that woman's life where she needs to choose a career that balances both family and profession. The retrospection that I have made has given me the confidence to choose 'ECCE' course. I enjoyed this course to the core and I found it very helpful in understanding my own children.

Its the flavor of satisfaction.

A complete overview about the course and my experiences in next post.

Regards,
Jyothi


3 comments:

  1. Hi jyothi. Being a home maker is much more bigger, beautiful, toughest and satisfying job than all the other jobs. Even I am a home maker. We should feel proud of our selves that we have given up our career for our family. And at the same time we should feel pity for the people who taunt us that we are home makers. All the best my dear friend for ur bright and successful future in what ever field you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes its true that being a home maker is much more beautiful job. Thats why I want to choose a path which would not disturb my life with my kids. Thank you very much for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. Hi jyothi. Being a home maker is much more bigger, beautiful, toughest and satisfying job than all the other jobs. Even I am a home maker. We should feel proud of our selves that we have given up our career for our family. And at the same time we should feel pity for the people who taunt us that we are home makers. All the best my dear friend for ur bright and successful future in what ever field you choose.

    ReplyDelete